- 979 XFM
- KJ Country
- Local News
- The Team
- Contact Us
- Listen Live!
The Teutopolis Monastery Museum, located off Route 40 at 110 South Garrott Street in Teutopolis, will be open to the public Sunday, June 2. The hours are from 12:30 to 4 p.m. Admission for adults is $3 and $1 for children.
There are more than 30 rooms open for viewing in the museum which is housed on the second floor in the former Franciscan Novitiate building at St. Francis Church in Teutopolis. The articles are on display in the "cells" or bedrooms of the Novices.
Besides its collection of articles used by the Franciscan Friars, the Museum also is known for Bibles and books in different languages, some from the 1700’s. One section features items used by early Teutopolis pioneers, including farm tools, furniture, clocks, quilts, toys, various household and grocery store items.
The tour also includes the Mausoleum and St. Francis Church with stained glass windows which depict highlights in the life of St. Francis of Assisi. Volunteers are stationed at various tour points to explain displays and assist visitors.
Special group tours for adults or school groups may be arranged for days other than the scheduled Sunday openings by contacting Joyce and Ray Vahling at 217-857-3586. Regular museum opening dates are the first Sunday of the months, April through November.
For more information go to the parish website: stfrancischurch.com or to the town’s website at www.Teutopolis.com and click on “Tourism” or the pair of wooden shoes.