Failed Extension Cord Caused Monday Fire Near Altamont

Print

Published on November 21 2012 3:56 pm
Last Updated on July 14 2013 4:07 pm
Written by Greg Sapp

A failed extension cord caused the fire Monday morning that did major damage to Illinois Prefinish east of Altamont.

Altamont Fire Chief Jon Becker said the cord was being used to power a hand sander.  Becker said an investigator for the insurance company for the business' owner, Aaron Cox, found enough of the cord and the sander to list the cord as the cause.

The fire did significant damage to the north building of the business, which prefinishes wood.

Four fire companies helped fight the blaze.  No one was injured.