Shane Collins Wins Jockey Award at Effingham Co. Fair, Race Results
Published on August 8 2014 12:03 pm
Last Updated on August 8 2014 12:19 pm
Written by Millie Lange
Raven Raja picked up the victory in the third race, the 3-Year-Olds, 5 Furlongs with champion jockey Shane Collins. Wayne Moran photo
ALTAMONT -- History was made at the Effingham County Fair as thoroughbred and quarter horses hit the track Friday.
In the opening race, the 3-Year-Old & Up Quarter Horse, 220 yards, Aces Dash N By Yawl was first out of the gate and simply put the field away to win in 9.4 seconds. Shane Collins took Aces Dash N By Yawl to the win for its fourth year in a row to win a race at the Effingham County Fair. Aces Dash N By Yawl joins Karen's Look (1981) and Spy In Motion (2002) as only horses of these breeds to score six wins total on this racetrack.
The second race went to Prize Bound Saluki. Prize Bound Saluki took a quick break out of the gate and had to hold off Devlish Whirl to win in 10.3 seconds.
Jorge Colozzo Jr. took the filly to the win.
Raven Raja would have made his grandfather proud in the 3-Year-Olds, 5 Furlongs race. Raven Raja's paternal grandfather, Monarchos won the Kentucky Derby in 2001. Collins picked up his second win of the day by taking Raven Raja out to the early lead and finishing in 1:02 1/5, winning by two lengths. The winner is owned by Kamisha Holsapple of Greenup.
Jorge Colozzo Sr. picked up his first win of the day in the 4-Year-Olds & Up, 5 Furlongs. Schwarzkopf was quick out of the gate for the lead but Line I One came around to take the lead on the first turn. The gelding led by 3 1/2 lengths on the backstretch. Then it was a three-way scramble down the homestretch before Line I One held off the field for the win by three lengths. Line I One claimed the victory in 1:00 4/5.
Collins took his third win of the day in the 4-Year-Olds & Up, 6 Furlongs. Hey I Know You took the early lead for jockey Jorge Colozzo Sr. Front Step challenged for the lead before Euritas Gold and jockey Collins, came on strong. All three horses were fighting down the homestretch before Hey I Know You and Euritas Gold had a photo finish. Euritas Gold, owned by Stacey Holsapple of Greenup, was shown in the photo to win by a "flared nostril" according to race announcer Kurt Becker in 1:19.
In the Open 5/8 Furlongs, Thunder Buck was high strung before the race but settled down coming out of the gate to take care of business for jockey Jorge Colozzo Jr. Thunder Buck led from start to finish and ended with a six length victory in 1:01 2/5. It was the third time Thunder Buck, owned by Stacey Holsapple, won at the Effingham County Fair. Colozzo Jr. now has 13 career victories and moved into third among the winningest jockeys at the fair since 1991.
Paddle Wheel Mary turned a hat trick in the seventh race of the day, the Open 1/2 Mile. Coming into the race, the 11-year-old mare had won in 2012 and 2013 and made it three straight in 53 seconds. Jorge Colozzo Jr. picked up his third victory of the day.
Burning Tomcat Tom defended its championship int he Open Mile. After winning last year, Burning Tomcat Tom took the field, winning by 15 lengths for jockey Jorge Colozzo Sr. The winning time was 1:47 3/5.
Shane Collins who ended up winning the jockey's award on the day with three first place finishes, FOURseconds and a third.
Effingham County Fair
3-Year-Old & Up Quarter Horse, 220 Yards
1. Aces Dash N By Yawl (Shane Collins), 2. Clown Doctor (Jorge Colozzo Jr.), 3. Wings of Mamas Prayer (S. Duty)
Time -- :9.4
2-Year-Olds, 1 Furlong
1. Prize Bound Saluki (Jorge Colozzo Jr.), 2. Devilish Whirl (Shane Collins), 3. Raise The Wire (Jorge Colozzo Sr.), 4. Fabled Legend (Lance Holsapple)
Time -- :10.3
3-Year-Olds, 5 Furlongs
1. Raven Raja (Shane Collins), 2. Blushing Outlaw (Jorge Colozzo Sr.), 3. Joe Gun (Jorge Colozzo Jr.), 4. Chocolate Rja (Lance Holsapple)
Time -- 1:02 1/5.
4-Year-Olds & Up, 5 Furlongs
1. Line I One (Jorge Colozzo Sr.), 2. Schwarzkopf (Shane Collins), 3. Imer (Jorge Colozzo Jr.), 4. Mr. Posh (Mike Lewis)
Time -- 1:00 4/5.
4-Year-Olds & Up, 6 Furlongs
1. Euritas Gold (Shane Collins), 2. Hey I Know You (Jorge Colozzo Sr.), 3. Front Step (Jorge Colozzo Jr.), 4. Sprockets (Brad Bartram)
Time -- 1:19.
Open, 5/8 Furlongs
1. Thunder Buck (Jorge Colozzo Jr.), 2. Brazen Clown (Jorge Colozzo Sr.), 3. South Bound Saluki (Shane Collins)
Time -- 1:01 2/5.
Open One-Half Mile
1. Paddle Wheel Mary (Jorge Colozzo Jr.), 2. Tres Riches (Shane Collins), 3. Smart Dallas (Jorge Colozzo Sr.)
Time -- :53.0
1. Burning Tomcat Tom (Jorge Colozzo Sr.), 2. Unbridled Creek (Shane Collins), 3. Evening Surprise (Jorge Colozzo Jr.)
Time -- 1:47.3
Euritas Gold (hidden) with jockey Shane Collins, claims the victory in the 4-Year-Olds & Up, 6 Furlongs by a flared nostril over Hey I Know You with jockey Jorge Colozzo Sr. Wayne Moran photo