Wednesday's Harness Racing Results
Published on August 8 2012 6:47 pm
Last Updated on August 8 2012 7:16 pm
Written by Millie Lange
ALTAMONT -- Five different drivers picked up victories Wednesday in the five-race field at the Effingham County Fair.
Mike Brink, the leading driver on the week, captured the victory in the opening race, the Topline 2-Year-Old Pace. Brink, who has five wins and 38 points, guided Lizzy Turner to the win in 2:08.1. Lizzy Turner led at the three quarter mile mark and ended up winning by a neck on the inside over second-place finisher Long Term.
The second race. the Topline 3-Year-Old & Up Trot, went to Dave Fagan behind Red Victress in one of the most exciting races of the day. Lane's Game was first away and led towards the half but the whole field was still in it. Red Victress sat in second and came on in the last 16th of a mile to pull out the win in 2:02 3/5. Red Victress is trained by J.D. Finn of Newton. Fagan is a former Effingham County Fair driving award winner.
The third race, the Topline 3-Year-Old and Up Pace, looked like it might go to Tinkers Damn, a winner in five races this season. Tinkers Damn had never lost on the Effingham County Fair track, going four for four and picking up the first victory ever there. Tinkers Damn has 34 victories, but had a poor start sitting in sixth. Madoff led the way and nabbed the first win this season with an amazing 1:57 3/5, only a second off the all-time track record at Altamont. Finn, another former Effingham County Fair driving award winner, picked up his 112th driving career victory at the fair.
The fourth race went to Newton's Dane May, his second in two days. May guided Rose Run Ocala to a 2:06 3/5 win in the Topline 2-Year-Old Trot. Poppy Gram was first away but Southwind Diva led at the quarter mile marker. Dreams of Thunder led at the half but broke and Southwind Diva regained the lead. Rose Run Ocala came on strong, going the last quarter in 30 2/5 for the win.
In the final race of the day, the Non-winners $3,500 Lifetime Pace, Battleshoe Tro took the lead with Side Pocket Harry parking in second place. Everyone in the field lined up in single file at the half and Real Cool Hand moved from fourth to second. Make It Magic had the lead at the three quarter mile marker and led going into the final turn. Side Pocket Harry came on to challenge from third place at the three quarter turn and pulled out the win in 2:06 1/5 for driver Larry Ward.
Harness racing finishes out Thursday with a 1 p.m. post-time before thoroughbreds take the field for a noon start Friday.
Effingham County Fair
Topline 2-Year-Old Pace
1. Lizzy Turner (Mike Brink), 2. Long Term (Tom Simmons), 3. Little Warriorette (Michael Johnson), 4. Bad Boy Bear Too (Ronnie Gillespie)
Time -- :32 2/5, 1:04 3/5, 1:37 1/5, 2:08 1/5.
Topline 3-Year-Old & Up Trot
1. Red Victress (Dave Fagan), 2. Lane's Game (J.D. Finn), 3. Earli Morning Star (Darla Martin), 4. G Five (Jared Finn), 5. Outrageous Speed (Randall Finn), 6. Bonfire Red (Clay Simpson)
Time -- :30 2/5, 1:00, 1:32, 2:02 3/5.
Topline 3-Year-Old & Up Pace
1. Madoff (Randall Finn), 2. Boi (Richard Schrock), 3. Tinkers Damn (Michael Knicley), 4. Smoke Rings (Larry Ward), 5. Nj's Super Charger (Larry Plank), 6. Racy Traci Place (David Fagan), 7. Fox Valley Trident (Kyle Husted), 8. Watchatalkinabout (James Ward)
Time -- :29 2/5, :59, 1:29 3/5, 1:57 3/5.
Topline 2-Year-Old Trot
1. Rose Run Ocala (Dane May), 2. Southwind Diva (Mike Brink), 3. Valerina Vicky (Dave Fagan), 4. Lima R U Rockin (Jerry Mims), 5. Battleshoe Play (Buddy Simpson), 6. Poppy Gram (Ronnie Gillespie), 7. Frontier Quietriot (Larry Binkley), 8. Dreams Of Thunder (Mike Brink)
Time -- :33, 1:04 4/5, 1:36 1/5, 2:06 3/5.
Non-winners $3,500 Lifetime Pace
1. Side Pocket Harry (Larry Ward), 2. Make It Magic (Randall Finn), 3. Real Cool Hand (Randy Finn), 4. Coal Black (Ronnie Gillespie), 5. Dave's Gold (Tom Simmons), 6. Battleshoe Tro (Clay Simpson)
Time -- :32, 1:03, 1:35, 2:06 1/5.