Fire Causes Minor Damage at Wolters Home at Lake Sara (UPDATE)

Print

Published on June 7 2012 4:43 pm
Last Updated on July 14 2013 12:07 pm
Written by Greg Sapp

Fire that could have been spontaneous combustion did damage to the Lake Sara home of Bob and Karen Wolters Thursday afternoon.

Shumway firefighters were called to the home at 15922 North Bluebird Drive at 3:15pm.  The damage was centered around a golf cart that had lawn care products and materials laying in the bed.  The fire spread to the interior walls and ceiling of the garage of the Wolters home and smoke spread into the residence.

No one was home at the moment, although the Wolters' caretaker arrived shortly after smoke was spotted by neighbors.  The neighbors used a garden hose on the fire until firefighters reached the scene.

The fire was brought under control at 3:35pm, and crews remained on the scene for another hour removing smoke from the house.  The fire is being ruled accidental, but investigators believe the fire was started by some discarded oily rags.

Shumway Fire Chief Joe Kemme estimates approximately $75,000 to $100,000 in damage, due to the two vehicles that were parked in the garage at the time of the fire.  There was smoke damage to the living area of the house, but it was very minimal.

Firefighters from Effingham and Watson assisted at the scene and Altamont staffed the Shumway station while they were handling the call.

You'll find a photo gallery available here. Below is video we shot from the scene.